This ephemeral seed can be found gracing foods throughout Eastern Europe, Northern and Eastern Africa, the Middle East, and India. Matte black and delightfully crunchy, nigella has a peppery, oniony flavor and a beautiful oregano-like aroma. Wonderful in breads, pickles, and garnishes where they add visual appeal and texture as well as flavor.
Contains: Nigella seeds.
- Botanical Name: Nigella sativa
- Alternate Names: Black cumin, fennel flower, kolonji, black caraway
- Tasting Notes: Peppery, bitter, zesty, oniony, oregano, herbal
- Pairs Well With: Breads, cheeses, seed blends
- Try In: Celery Pickles with Baies Roses & Star Anise, Black Garlic Hummus, Vadouvan Curried Parsnip & Goat Cheese Dip
- Special Tips: Toast for best flavor before use. Makes a wonderful substitute for black sesame seeds in garnishes
Make it a Gift: Featured in our Preserved Lemon Kit, Everything Rainbow Spice, and Signature Bonga Spice. Or combine with Elmendorf Everything Spice, Caraway Seeds, and Sicilian Rosemary for a selection of bread baking spices, Gift Wrap