Anise is the seed of a plant in the celery family, and native to the eastern Mediterranean region and Southwest Asia. Cultivated for 4000 years in Egypt, it has been a popular spice in Italy since Roman times. Sweet, with a strong similarity to licorice, it is used in baked goods, desserts, candies, and alcoholic beverages. Not to be confused with star anise to which it has no relation, despite the similar name and flavor!
Contains: Dried anise seeds.
- Botanical Name: Pimpinella anisum
- Alternate Names: Aniseed, anix
- Tasting Notes: Sweet, licorice, fennel
- Pairs Well With: Ground Cassia Cinnamon, almond, vegetables
- Try In: Teas, biscotti, cookies