Widely used around the Mediterranean, throughout India and into China, fennel seed is pleasantly sweet and slightly grassy, with a balanced and mild anise flavor. Toast and use whole to add pops of flavor to meats or sauces, or grind to release the lovely sweetness of these seeds. Wonderful in both savory and sweet applications!
Contains: Dried fennel seeds.
- Botanical Name: Foeniculum vulgare
- Alternate Names: Saunf, sonp
- Tasting Notes: Grassy, hay, sweet, anise, mild licorice
- Pairs Well With: Pork, seafood, desserts
- Try In: Poached Salmon with Vadouvan Almond Sauce, Rhubarb Shikanji
- Special Tips: While licorice is not a popular flavor profile in the US, we find fennel to be mild, sweet, and wonderful for balancing flavors, without the harshness of licorice