Sesame Seeds, Black
Tenacious and nutritious, sesame plants have been cultivated for their seeds and oil for thousands of years in Eastern and Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as India where the domesticated variety originates. This beautiful, raw and un-hulled black sesame is sweet and nutty, with a pleasing hint of bitterness. Particularly popular in East Asian cuisine, where it adds visual appeal as well as flavor.
Contains: Raw, un-hulled black sesame seeds.
- Botanical Name: Sesamum indicum
- Alternate Names: Benne
- Tasting Notes: Sweet, nutty, hint of bitterness
- Pairs Well With: Noodles, crackers, salads
- Try In: Vadouvan-Scented Carrot Raita
- Special Tips: Toast before use to enhance the flavor, being careful not to burn or heat too long as they will start to pop!
Make it a Gift: Featured in our My Shanghai Cookbook & Spice Set and Signature Edo Spice. Or combine with other wonderfully crunchy seeds like Blue Poppy, Nigella, Caraway Seeds, and White Sesame, Gift Wrap