Carefully trimmed to leave only the most flavorful portion, this top-quality saffron hails from Afghanistan, which has a climate perfect for the cultivation of the saffron crocus. We proudly source this from our friends at Rumi Spice, a certified Benefit Corporation founded by US military veterans to support Afghan farmers and women agricultural workers to connect with the global food market. We love this in dishes where the saffron can really shine, like rice and desserts.
Prized for thousands of years, the saffron crocus was originally domesticated somewhere around the Mediterranean. Whether it was in Mesopotamia (modern-day Iran and Iraq) or ancient Greece remains debated, but its status as a precious commodity has prevailed down the Millenia. The aromatic, crimson stigma and styles of the crocus flower are painstakingly gathered, dried, and graded to produce the delicate saffron spice beloved by gourmands throughout history.
0.5 gram Jar
Contains: Saffron threads.
- Botanical Name: Crocus sativus
- Origin: Afghanistan
- Sourcing: Directly sourced by a certified B Corp., dedicated to supporting small farms and women workers in Afghanistan
- Tasting Notes: Fresh hay, bittersweet, floral, earthy, leather
- Pairs Well With: Rice, chicken, desserts
- Try In: Saffron & Apricot Goldies, Saffron Scented Popovers, Harissa & Saffron Jeweled Cauliflower
- Special Tips: Steep in warm (not boiling) water for up to 20 minutes before adding threads and steeping water to your dish. For dry recipes like cookies and cakes, grind thoroughly in a mortar and pestle before adding. Due to the trimming process, this saffron is more concentrated, so you can use less