With its verdant color, delicate aroma, and silky texture, matcha is very unlike more common black teas! To make matcha, tea bushes are covered before harvest to prevent direct sunlight on the leaves. This stimulates the production of chlorophyll to deepen the color, as well as the production of flavorful amino acids. After harvesting, the leaves are carefully processed and stone ground to preserve color and aroma. We love the sweet umami flavor of this matcha for tea, desserts, and cocktails.
- Botanical Name: Camellia sinensis
- Origin: Uji, Japan
- Sourcing: Sourced from a family-run small business committed to sustainability and ethical sourcing
- Tasting Notes: Sweet, bright, green, umami, savory, grassy, smooth
- Pairs Well With: Honey, coconut, cream
- Try In: Matcha margaritas, cakes, smoothies
- Special Tips: Store highly sealed in the refrigerator to stop the delicate amino acids from oxidizing