Mahlab is seed of the mahaleb cherry tree, which is native to the Mediterranean region and parts of Central Asia. While the inedible fruits are prized by birds, the trees have been cultivated by humans for their seeds since ancient times. Used to flavor baked goods and cheeses throughout the Middle East and countries that formerly comprised the Ottoman Empire, it has a flavor similar to bitter almond and cherry.
Contains: Mahlab seeds.
- Botanical Name: Prunus mahaleb
- Alternate Names: Mahalepi, mahalab, mahlep
- Tasting Notes: Bitter almond, notes of cherry, marzipan
- Pairs Well With: Desserts, breads, cheeses
- Try In: Cherry-Almond-Mahlab Granola
- Special Tips: Store in the fridge and grind right before use. A little goes a long way!