Similar in flavor and tartness to cranberries, barberries are most popular in Iran and are wonderful in Persian rice dishes. We love to use these small berries as a tart counterpoint in rice, salads, and grain dishes! Fry in butter or oil before use, or add a handful to your next batch of berry jam.
Contains: Dried barberries.
- Botanical Name: Berberis vulgaris
- Alternate Names: Zereshk
- Tasting Notes: Tart, sour, berry, bright
- Pairs Well With: Persian Saffron, rice, chicken
- Try In: Mazeh Spice & Black Lime Lentils, Harissa & Saffron Jeweled Cauliflower
- Special Tips: Barberry plants are spiny, so sort the berries before adding to a dish. Try using in place of citrus zest in salads or deserts!