Similar in flavor and tartness to cranberries, barberries are most popular in Iran and are wonderful in Persian rice dishes. Grown throughout the world as an ornamental shrub, the plants are also useful to deter trespassers and deer due to their vicious spines, but we prefer to use the berries as a tart counterpoint in rice, salads, and grain dishes! Fry in butter or oil before use, or add a handful to your next batch of berry jam.
Contains: Dried barberries.
- Botanical Name: Berberis vulgaris
- Alternate Names: Zereshk
- Tasting Notes: Tart, sour, berry, bright
- Pairs Well With: Persian Saffron, rice, chicken
- Try In: Mazeh Spice & Black Lime Lentils, Harissa & Saffron Jeweled Cauliflower
- Special Tips: Like cranberries, barberries can benefit from a sprinkling of sugar. Or try using them in place of citrus zest in salads or desserts