Garlic, Black Bulbs
Made by aging whole bulbs of fresh garlic over several weeks under controlled heat and humidity, black garlic attributes its rich flavor to the Maillard reaction - the chemical process that produces new flavor compounds responsible for the deep taste of seared meat and caramelized onions.
Mellow with lots of umami, we love this in applications where its subtle flavors can really shine! With notes of roasted garlic, balsamic vinegar, and tamarind, black garlic can be used in dips, savory scones, or in fried rice dishes. Try this to add depth to vegan and vegetarian recipes!
Storage note: Stored properly, black garlic has a shelf life of up to three years! Store in a breathable container (or just open on the shelf) at room temperature for best results.
Contains: Whole black garlic bulb(s).
- Botanical Name: Allium sativum
- Origin: Blacksburg, Virginia USA
- Sourcing: Directly sourced
- Tasting Notes: Umami, sweet, balsamic, tamarind, roasted garlic
- Pairs Well With: Legumes, red meat, salad dressings
- Try In: Maple Black Garlic Dressing, Black-Garlic Carrot Hummus, Pumpkin Soup with Black Garlic
- Special Tips: Oil your knife before slicing black garlic to make it easier to cut. And save the papery skins to add to your next batch of vegetable stock, they add depth and umami!