Fennel Seeds, Black Wild
Foraged by hand in Northern California, this fennel is bursting with phenomenal flavor. The hard scrabble life of wild fennel in this region - intense sunshine, little water, rocky soil - means the aromatic oils are concentrated in seeds that are smaller and more compact than cultivated varieties. Use in recipes calling for fennel seed and where you want a punchier fennel flavor!
Contains: Wild black fennel seeds.
- Botanical Name: Foeniculum vulgare
- Origin: Exeter, California USA
- Sourcing: Directly sourced
- Tasting Notes: Bright, sweet, anise, herbal, slightly numbing, bitter, licorice
- Pairs Well With: Seafood, salads, breads
- Try In: Shortbread, Italian taralli, grain salad
- Special Tips: While licorice is not a popular flavor profile in the US, we find fennel to be mild, sweet, and wonderful for balancing flavors, without the harshness of licorice