We directly source this vanilla powder from our partner in Madagascar. A type of orchid originally native to the Yucatán Peninsula, vanilla lives up to the reputation of its more ornamental cousins; finicky and high maintenance, they prefer a tropical environment, and must be carefully hand-pollinated. Contrary to the “plain vanilla” stereotype, natural vanilla is a deeply complex spice, with over 200 distinct flavor components. Made from dried, ground vanilla beans this powder is perfect for baking or ice cream! Can be used in place of extract, but you’ll only need half as much.
Contains: Dried, ground vanilla powder.
- Botanical Name: Vanilla planifolia
- Origin: Antalaha, Sava Region, Republic of Madagascar
- Sourcing: Directly sourced and sustainably grown and harvested
- Tasting Notes: Strong vanilla aroma, fig, date, sweet, chocolate, oak, leather Pairs Well With: Cream, citrus, baked goods
- Try In: Baharat Sesame & Fig Cookies, Magic Salt Chocolate Cookies
- Learn More: Claire’s Journal Aromatum: Madagascar
- Special Tips: When using in place of extract, halve the amount called for in the recipe