We directly source these high grade, sustainably grown vanilla beans from our partner in Madagascar. A type of orchid originally native to the Yucatán Peninsula, vanilla lives up to the reputation of its more ornamental cousins; finicky and high maintenance, they prefer a tropical environment, and must be carefully hand-pollinated. Contrary to the “plain vanilla” stereotype, natural vanilla is a deeply complex spice, with over 200 distinct flavor components. These gourmet pods from Madagascar have creamy notes of fig, date, chocolate, and oak- perfect for your next baking project or batch of marmalade!
2 pods per Jar
Contains: Whole vanilla pods.
- Botanical Name: Vanilla planifolia
- Origin: Antalaha, Sava Region, Republic of Madagascar
- Sourcing: Directly sourced and sustainably grown and harvested
- Tasting Notes: Strong vanilla aroma, fig, date, sweet, chocolate, oak, leather, tannic
- Pairs Well With: Cream, citrus, baked goods
- Try In: Vanilla-Infused Tomato Sauce, Malagasy Spiced Marmalade
- Learn More: Claire’s Journal Aromatum: Madagascar
- Special Tips: One vanilla pod is equal to about 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Slit the bean open and scrape out the seeds. Don’t discard the husk, it can still be used to infuse into foods, or to scent sugar
Make it a Gift: Featured in our Single Origin Cabinet of Wonders. Or combine with other beautiful spices from Madagascar like Voatsiperifery Wild Pepper, Baies Roses Pink Pepper, and Madagascar Pickling Spice, Gift Wrap