Grown and dried locally by our friends at Kitchen Garden Farm, Espelette chilies are sweet and mildly hot. Originating in the French commune of Espelette, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, traditionally the northern territory of the Basque people, these chilies can be very difficult to find outside of France. Cultivated for centuries, the Espelette chile has become a cornerstone of Basque cuisine, often replacing black pepper. Rehydrate and use in soups and vegetable stews or with poultry to add fruity, mild heat and a hint of natural smokiness.
Contains: Dried espelette chilies.
- Botanical Name: Capsicum annuum
- Origin: Sunderland, Massachusetts USA
- Sourcing: Directly sourced from a small local farm
- Harvest: Fall 2020
- Tasting Notes: Fruity, mild heat, smoky, peppery, bright
- Pairs Well With: Granulated Garlic, bell pepper, chicken
- Try In: Piperade, chicken cacciatore, vegetable and bean soup
- Special Tips: Soak in hot water for 10 minutes to rehydrate before use, or crush to use like pepper