Amchoor is the dried powder of green, unripe mangos. A powerful souring agent, it adds acidity and a hint of fruitiness to food without adding any moisture. Most commonly found in Indian cuisine, it adds a tart kick to spice blends, chutneys, marinades, and curries. It is also makes a terrific meat tenderizer.
Contains: Powdered dried unripe mango.
- Botanical Name: Mangifera indica
- Alternate Names: Aamchur, amchur, mango powder
- Tasting Notes: Sour, tart, lip-puckering, fruity
- Pairs Well With: Sri Lankan Ground Ginger, chickpeas, potatoes
- Try In: Chile and salt rims for cocktails or on fruit
- Special Tips: Amchoor is powerful as a tenderizing agent for meat; best suited for white meat or fish, and keep your marinating time to a few hours