Related to tulsi (holy basil) but with a flavor all its own, besobela is the dried flower buds of Ethiopian basil. This aromatic herb is essential to Niter Kibbeh and wonderful in soups and stews. Similar to dried sweet basil but with a fresh grassy, herbal aroma and hints of sun dried berries. Directly sourced from a women’s farming cooperative in Bonga, Ethiopia, we love how fresh and aromatic this besobela is!
Contains: Dried Ethiopian basil buds.
- Alternative Names: Beso Bela, bessobela, Ethiopian holy basil, Sacred Basil
- Origin: Bonga, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Sourcing: Direct sourced from a women’s farming cooperative
- Tasting Notes: Basil, fresh hay, sun-dried berries
- Pairs Well With: Koseret, tomatoes, vegetables
- Try In: Niter Kibbeh, Shiro, pasta sauce
- Learn More: Claire’s Journal Aromatum: Ethiopian Women in Spice