Turmeric, Ethiopian, Ground
Grown with love by a woman-owned farming cooperative in the famously rich soil of Bonga, Ethiopia, this elegant turmeric is richly hued, with a complex flavor profile. A relative of ginger, turmeric has been prized for thousands of years as both a pigment and a spice. Native to South and Southeast Asia, people have carried the cheerful and colorful rhizome with them to the Middle East, East Africa, Madagascar, Australia, and Polynesia (and beyond!). We adore the earthy sweetness and butterscotch notes of this ground turmeric in meat stews, rice, lentils and greens!
Contains: Ground dried turmeric.
- Botanical Name: Curcuma longa
- Alternate Names: Haldi, ird
- Origin: Bonga, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Sourcing: Directly sourced from a woman-owned farming cooperative
- Tasting Notes: Earthy, sweet, butterscotch, caramel, bitter, peppery, smooth
- Pairs Well With: Lentils, greens, rice
- Try In: Kik Alicha, Turmeric Spiced Shortcakes
- Learn More: Claire’s Journal Aromatum: Ethiopian Women in Spice