Named for the region of Turkey where it originates, Urfa chile flakes are sultry and richly flavored with a building heat. Vine ripened and sun dried, these chilies are wrapped tightly at night to ‘sweat’, which preserves the natural oils and concentrates the deep umami, tobacco, raisin, and smoky flavor. Makes a wonderful substitute for salt and pepper for vegetable soups!
Contains: Urfa chile flakes, sunflower oil, salt.
- Botanical Name: Capsicum annuum
- Alternate Names: Urfa Biber, Urfa Pepper, Isot Pepper
- Origin: Şanlıurfa, Republic of Turkey
- Sourcing: Directly sourced
- Tasting Notes: Chocolate, leather, tobacco, smoke, sweet, mild to medium heat, tart
- Heat: 5k-10k SHU
- Pairs Well With: Lebanese Sumac, squash, chocolate
- Try In: Butternut squash soup, chocolate cookies, roasted eggplant
- Special Tips: These chile flakes contain a fair amount of salt, so taste first and adjust your recipe accordingly