These mild seeds, native to Central and South America, are used for making achiote oil (golden oil for rice dishes). A powerful food colorant with a mild, slightly nutty flavor, it is used throughout Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Philippines. From hallacas to sazón and cochinita pibil, annatto adds visual appeal and subtle flavor.
Contains: Whole annatto seeds.
- Botanical Name: Bixa orellana
- Alternate Names: Achiote, bijol
- Origin: Peru
- Tasting Notes: Mild, slightly nutty, hint of pepper and nutmeg
- Pairs Well With: Oil, meat, rice
- Try In: Rice dishes, slow cooked pork, infused oil
- Special Tips: Heat the whole or ground seeds in oil/fat to extract the color and subtle flavor