Uncooked, asafoetida is notorious for its strong, ‘unique’ odor. But fry a little in oil in the early stages of cooking and it is deliciously transformed! Essential to vegetarian Indian cuisine as a way to enhance and deepen the savoriness, it has a smooth onion-like flavor when cooked. Use along side onions and garlic, or as a flavorful and savory allium substitute.
Contains: Powdered asafoetida, powdered fenugreek (for anti-clumping).
- Alternate Names: Hing, asafetida
- Tasting Notes: Leek, onion, savory, smooth, deep, earthy, umami
- Pairs Well With: Tomatoes, ghee, legumes
- Try In: Kandy Spiced Chicken Biryani
- Special Tips: The odor of asafoetida is strong and pervasive. Store tightly sealed and use a measuring spoon to avoid spills. Also wonderful added to hot oil for tempering a dish before serving