Flying in the face of preconceived notions of saffron’s Mediterranean pedigree, this US grown saffron hails from Illinois, where it is lovingly hand-planted and tended. Subtle yet intense, the aroma of this exquisite saffron is grassy and hay-like. We love it in yogurt sauces for grilled chicken or with seafood.
Prized for thousands of years, the saffron crocus was originally domesticated somewhere around the Mediterranean. Whether it was in Mesopotamia (modern-day Iran and Iraq) or ancient Greece remains debated, but its status as a precious commodity has prevailed down the years. The aromatic, crimson stigma and styles of the crocus flower are painstakingly gathered, dried, and graded to produce the aromatic saffron beloved by gourmands throughout history.
0.5 gram Jar
Contains: Saffron threads.
- Botanical Name: Crocus sativus
- Origin: Apple River, Illinois USA
- Sourcing: Directly sourced from a family farm
- Tasting Notes: Fresh hay, sweet, floral, earthy, honey
- Pairs Well With: Rice, chicken, desserts
- Try In: Saffron & Apricot Goldies, Saffron Scented Popovers, Harissa & Saffron Jeweled Cauliflower
- Special Tips: Steep in warm (not boiling) water for up to 20 minutes before adding threads and steeping water to your dish. For dry recipes like cookies and cakes, grind thoroughly in a mortar and pestle before adding
Make it a Gift: Add to our Homegrown- Flavors of the USA gift set. Or combine with other great US grown spices like Oregon Lavender, Maine Fine Sea Salt, New Mexico Hatch Chilies, and Fennel Pollen, Gift Wrap